Curator Job Post
Closing date 31st August 2022
We are looking for an experienced Curator to lead our dedicated and motivated animal care team at Skegness Aquarium.
Skegness Aquarium is a family run business and as such, the Curator will always have the support from the General Manager to allow animal welfare to be at the heart of decision making.
The Curator role is a fundamental part of the attraction’s senior management team and assumes leadership for our talented animal care team with support from two Senior Aquarists. We are looking for someone with the right balance of animal and people skills to lead and inspire our team of aquarists. They will also be responsible for maintaining and developing a variety of exhibits and their life support systems which are home to a wide range of marine vertebrates, as well as reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
The right candidate, with industry experience, will provide a strategic oversight to maintain the highest animal welfare and husbandry standards, while continuing to drive the aquarium to meet and exceed our ambitious goals. You will also need to have a comprehensive understanding of the UK zoo licensing process and regulations; our next renewal is due in 2025 and our current license has no additional conditions or directions.
What we are looking for
- You’ll be passionate about aquatic animals, educating the public about them but you’ll also love people too! This is a key leadership role and involves effectively leading a team so you must be a strong team player.
- Previous experience within the industry in managing animal collections at a senior level is essential. This should include comprehensive understanding of the UK zoo licensing process and regulations.
- Your knowledge of large life support systems is critical, as well as your ability to problem solve and plan for the future.
- Be able to keep accurate and efficient records using excel spreadsheets, and have proven ability to manage large operational expenditure budgets.
- Qualification/degree in marine biology, animal care or similar.
- Extensive experience within the public aquarium industry, including, but not limited to: monitoring animal behaviour and health, upholding the highest standards of animal welfare, water quality testing, life support system maintenance.
- Experience of tropical marine aquatic husbandry and working with corals, terrestrial invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles.
- Proven ability to work under own initiative with high attention to detail but also a strong team player with excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills, personable and inclusive of others and their ideas.
- Excellent record keeping skills and thorough knowledge of the British zoo licensing procedure, as well as the ability to write and review policies.
- Experience in providing veterinary treatments under vet’s guidance.
- Be able to relocate within 45minutes of the aquarium.
- At least one years’ Assistant Curator/Displays Supervisor/Senior Aquarist experience within the aquarium industry.
- Experience developing conservation and research initiatives.
- Experience installing/plumbing large scale life support systems.
- Dive qualification of a minimum of PADI/RAID Rescue Diver or equivalent, and be able to obtain a HSE Dive Medical.
This is a full-time position with a minimum of 42hrs per week for a competitive salary based on experience for a minimum of £28000.
This includes working regular weekends, bank holidays and school holidays as well as being on call for out of hour’s emergencies and working sometimes early or late to meet business and animal care demands.
Benefits include a pension plan, 28 days holiday including substitute bank holidays, increasing to 33 days holiday after 5 years of service, free entry or discounts at other Teenspirit Ltd. attractions, and RAID diving training to Rescue Diver level for the right candidate.
Please fill out our application form below and attach an up to date CV and Cover Letter.
Closing date to apply is 31st August 2022.
We encourage applicants to apply early as strong applicants may be invited to interview ahead of the closing date. The current Curator is working an extended notice period so should we be able to hire early this will allow for a working in person handover period.
To apply please email your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, please send your CV and Cover Letter to